It was a bit windy and a bit cold but I slept well. Woke up to my 5:30am alarm. Set off hiking at 6:15am when it was cold and windy. 


Not looking too hot this morning!…


The hat went on and off about 15 times. As soon as I was in the shade I was cold. It’s never the perfect weather – when the sun is out we are looking for shade and want it to be cloudy, and when it’s cold and clouIdy we want the sun to come out! I was hiking fast today, I even kept up with Pop for a bit!! 


All I could think about was onion rings / french fries / burger / chocolate milkshake / onion rings / french fries / burger / chocolate milkshake….

Got to the paradise cafe around 9:30, not bad for 8 miles. Have to admit I was bit disappointed that they were only serving breakfast and I couldn’t get a burger. Instead I had a mushroom and feta omelette, which came with a hash brown the same size as the omelette, plus sourdough toast and a chocolate milkshake (at least I got my milkshake!). I couldn’t quite manage it all, true hiker hunger is yet to kick in! 

It was then time for my first hitch. Me Kat and Foxtrot, we got picked up in under 2 minutes! 

A man called Franz picked us up, originally from Munich. He gave us a tour of the fire damaged areas, and took us to the outfitter where we met a bunch of other people. Great place to buy new shoes if yours are hurting as a few people did. 

Went and sat in Jo An’s for the afternoon. I had another chocolate milkshake and some sweet potato fries. Jesse came and found us, it was so cool to see him again! 

I also saw Helen and Natasha who I was with at scout and frodos, well, they saw me. It’s so odd to be in the middle of a random town in California and for someone to recognise you and shout your name, and to me it happened 3 times today!

Cuban B rocking the rain skirt:

The gang all together:


Idyllwild town monument:


Rowan had been in town for couple of days because of a problem with his foot, we were due to stay at a trail angels house but not until after 5 so we went to Rowans cabin and chilled there for a bit. Took a shower and did my laundry. So nice to be clean(ish) and not stinking. 

4 of us made arrangements to stay with a trail angel who told us to come any time after 5, after a long trudge up a hill, which I had a sense of humour failure about, we arrived at 6:15 and there was a note on the door saying because we hadn’t arrived by 6 they had gone out – so we had to find somewhere else to stay! 

We ended up walking back over to the other side of town to get a cabin – the cabin is nice and I’m looking forward to a lie in tomorrow! 

We got a pizza takeout (10% discount for thru hikers). We are in a cloud. Visibility is poor and the air is wet and cold. I’m so glad we are inside. It’s supposed to rain tomorrow, maybe a bit of a storm so a good time for a rest day. 
I heard today that some people have been calling me English – I had no idea! Don’t want that trail name though. 

Cuban B slept like this the whole night, with the heater on:

Tomorrow is a whole day off. The only walking I will be doing is to the supermarket and pharmacy. 

If you liked that, then you might like this...

Adventure with purpose.

785 million people globally don't have access to clean water. That's 1 in 10 people. In 2020 this is not ok.

I fundraise for Just a Drop in the hope that if I walk thousands of miles for clean water then the people who need to won’t have to. Find out more


If you liked this post, please share it!

Privacy Preference Center

%d bloggers like this: